Choosing the right type of AI detector is important because it can determine the quality and authenticity of AI-generated content. AI content detectors have the ability to identify the hallmarks of AI-written text, such as repeating patterns, lack of coherence, and the absence of emotional and contextual nuance.
With up to 95% accuracy, these tools can be incredibly useful for content creators looking to improve the readability and authenticity of their writing, or for individuals seeking to validate the authenticity of a piece of content.
This guide will provide a comprehensive overview of the best AI content detectors currently available.
This article is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through one of the links below, I might earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Why AI Detectors?
AI has made incredible advancements over the past few years, and with these advancements, AI writers like ChatGPT have made their way into the content creation world.
A lot of people are now generating content with AI instead of writing it themselves. This has led to a considerable efficiency boost in the content creation process. However, when AI is used as a shortcut, the quality of the content produced can be questionable.
To mitigate this, AI content detectors have been developed to detect AI-written content with up to 90-95% accuracy. These AI content detectors are designed to identify the hallmarks of AI-generated content, such as repeating patterns, lack of coherence, and the absence of emotional and contextual nuance.
For content creators, AI content detectors can be incredibly useful. For instance, when generating the content, you may want to make it appear less AI-written, especially in the eyes of search engines.
In this case, an AI content detector can help you identify areas where the content appears to be generated by AI, allowing you to make necessary adjustments to improve the content’s readability and authenticity.
A Word about Accuracy
Before using AI content detectors, you need to keep in mind that the accuracy isn’t quite there yet. No matter what tool you use, there’s always some uncertainty in the AI detector score. In my experience, AI content detectors have an accuracy of around 70-80%.
A Quick Overview of the Tools
Here’s a quick overview of the tools on this list. Feel free to jump into the review of a particular tool to save time.
|1.||Originality.ai||Best overall AI content detector (plagiarism, AI content detector)|
|2.||Content at Scale||AI content platform with content detector|
|3.||CrossPlag AI||Uses machine learning to detect AI-written content|
|4.||CopyLeaks AI||Plagiarism and AI-written content detector for bloggers and copywriters|
|5.||Writer.com||Powerful AI detector for agencies|
|6.||GLTR||GPT-2-generated content detector (old AI writing model)|
Let’s jump into the reviews!
1. Originality AI
The best AI detector tool is Originality.ai. Originality offers both an AI detector as well as a plagiarism detector that scans your content with high accuracy.
Originality.ai is capable of detecting AI-produced content written by the most popular AI language models like ChatGPT, GPT-3, GPT-NEO, and so on.
The workflow is simple. Just copy-paste some content to the Originality.ai editor and get a score in a matter of seconds. You can request the tool to run both the plagiarism check and AI detection or just one of those.
Based on my tests, Originality can correctly detect AI-written content as AI-written with 90% accuracy. But given human-written text, it only detected 40% of the content as human written.
- Recognizes AI-written content with high accuracy.
- Supports detecting common AI models such as GPT-3, ChatGPT, and more.
- Has user collaboration features where you can add many team members under the same plan.
- Site scan feature for detecting entire websites.
- Offers APIs and other integrations.
Pros and Cons
|90%+ accuracy||No free trial|
|Supports detecting most of the NLP models||Falsely detects human-written content as AI-written|
|Chrome extension and integrations|
A credit-based model where 100 scanned words cost $0.01.
2. Content at Scale
Content at Scale is a new AI content platform that’s best known for its blogging features. With Content at Scale, you can use AI to write blog posts from start to finish.
One cool feature of Content at Scale is the ability to detect AI-written content.
Unlike Originality.ai, the Content at Scale AI detector is free to use. Similar to Originality, all you need to do is copy-paste some text into the detector field and it gives you a score.
In my tests, Content at Scale recognized 90% of the AI-written text as AI-written. Also, it did well with human-written content as it only falsely identified the human-written text as AI-written 30% of the time.
But unlike Originality, the Content at Scale detector is easy to fool. By changing a single character you can flip the score around.
- Content at Scale’s AI detector is completely free.
- Content at Scale supports detecting multiple languages so you’re not only limited to busting English content.
- The accuracy is great with both human-written and AI-written content.
- You can request to use their API to integrate the service into your app.
Pros and Cons
|90% accuracy in AI-written content||Falsely flags human-written content|
|Supports most NLP models|
|A complete AI content platform|
3. CrossPlag AI
Crossplag is a cutting-edge AI detector too that detects AI-generated text with high accuracy.
Crossplag utilizes advanced machine learning algorithms and natural language processing to analyze text and determine if it’s been written by a human or AI.
The tool examines unique patterns and features present in AI-generated text. It then uses this information to create a score, which is displayed on a color-coded severity scale that ranges from green to red.
- Green represents text that is determined to be written by a human.
- Red represents text that has been generated by an AI system.
One of the key advantages of Crossplag is its ease of use. Its intuitive interface allows users to quickly and easily upload text for analysis, providing results in seconds. This makes it an ideal solution for both individuals and organizations who need to quickly assess large amounts of text for signs of AI-generated content.
Based on my tests, CrossPlag recognizes AI-written content as AI-written with a 90% probability.
- Crossplag offers a high level of accuracy in identifying AI-generated text.
- Leverages the latest advances in machine learning and natural language processing to analyze text and determine if it’s been written by AI.
- The tool is designed with ease of use in mind, offering an intuitive interface that allows users to quickly and easily upload text for analysis.
- Crossplag is designed to meet the needs of a variety of use cases, including education, SEO, and others.
- The tool offers seamless integration with learning tools interoperability (LTI) for added convenience and flexibility.
- Crossplag is equipped to analyze text in 100 different languages, making it a versatile tool for users around the world.
Pros and Cons
|Free trial||No free trial|
|High-accuracy AI detection||Sometimes detects human-written content as AI-written|
|API use available|
- Pay-as-you-go: $9.99 for up to 5,000 words.
- Bundle: $149.99 up to 100,000 words.
- Custom: Contact sales.
4. CopyLeaks AI
Copyleaks is an AI-powered plagiarism detector tool that can also be used as an AI content detector.
With the ability to detect the AI-generated text, including those generated through the latest GPT 3.5 model and ChatGPT, Copyleaks offers one of the most accurate AI detector results.
Besides, Copyleaks provides a reliable solution for detecting plagiarism in AI-generated text, ensuring the authenticity and originality of content.
Based on my tests, CopyLeaks only detects 50% of the AI-written content as AI. This is not nearly as high of a probability as other tools can do. Nonetheless, you can test the tool with different AI models to see how it truly performs. I tried ChatGPT which is harder to detect.
- A tool that checks if content is original and not copied from other sources. It should have a high accuracy rate and detect plagiarism in a variety of formats.
- Assesses and detects AI-generated content across a wide range of natural language processing models like GPT-3.5.
- Access to Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that allow for the detection of AI-generated content on a large scale, either in real-time or as a batch process.
- The use of AI technologies to power the content detection process, such as machine learning algorithms, natural language processing, and deep learning.
- The option to access the AI content detector as a browser extension for Google Chrome.
Pros and Cons
|AI content detection with decent accuracy||No percentage gauging|
|Easy-to-use interface||False positives with human-written content|
|API and LMS integrations for enterprise-level solutions||Not the best accuracy for detecting AI|
Free to use—in beta mode right now.
Writer.com is an AI content platform designed for businesses and organizations.
This tool offers a range of tools to help users create compelling content. In addition to its writing capabilities, Writer is also equipped with a powerful AI text detector to ensure that the content produced is written by humans.
To use the AI content detector:
- Grab a piece of text.
- Input the text into the content analyzer.
- Initiate the analysis by clicking “Analyze text.”
- Review the originality score.
In my tests, Writer.com was able to detect 80% of the AI-written content as AI-written.
- A specialized tool designed for detecting AI-generated content, providing an accurate and reliable assessment of text human-written score.
- Reporting tools that provide valuable insights into writing patterns and trends, allowing users to make informed decisions about their content strategy.
- Style guide that outlines editorial rules and best practices for writing, ensuring that content is consistent, professional, and of high quality.
- The ability to automate various aspects of content strategy, including content creation, distribution, and analysis, streamlining the content creation process and saving time and resources.
- An AI-powered tool that trains the AI content generator to produce content based on specific requirements and style preferences.
Pros and Cons
|A good 80%+ accuracy||There are some false positives occasionally|
|Multiple AI writing solutions too!||A complete AI platform—not just a simple AI detector (might confuse some)|
|Free AI detector tool|
- Team Plan Costs: $18 per user/month
- Enterprise Plan: Quotes available on request.
For those primarily concerned with text generated by the GPT2 NLP model, GLTR is the way to go.
GLTR stands for Giant Language Model Test Room and is a free AI text detection tool created by a collaboration between the MIT-IBM Watson AI Lab and HarvardNLP.
This tool utilizes the publicly accessible GPT2 model from OpenAI, and its primary purpose is to detect text that has been generated automatically using language models.
- Detects GPT-2 written content.
- This tool is entirely free to use.
Pros and Cons
|Super high GPT-2 detection capacity||Not going to detect other AI writing models that GPT-2|
|Easy to use and completely free tool||The dashboard is a bit complex but still decent|
This tool is completely free.
In conclusion, AI content detectors are a valuable tool in the world of content creation and authenticity validation.
With advancements in AI technology, AI-generated content has become more prevalent, making it difficult to distinguish between human-written and AI-written content.
And don’t get me wrong here. AI-written content isn’t automatically bad. If you’ve done the research and brought something unique to the table, it doesn’t really matter if the words are put together by you or an AI. But cheating or trying to take shortcuts to success with AI isn’t a good idea.
AI content detectors can help by accurately identifying AI-generated content, providing content creators with the necessary insights to make improvements and enhance the authenticity of their content. Also, you can get some direction if a piece of content (such as homework) is written by human or AI.
This blog post has provided a comprehensive guide to the best AI content detectors available, helping you make informed decisions about which one is best for your needs.
Whether you are a content creator or someone in need of content validation, investing in an AI content detector is an investment in the quality and authenticity of your content.
Thanks for reading. Happy content detecting!
About the Author
- I'm an entrepreneur and a blogger from Finland. My goal is to make coding and tech easier for you with comprehensive guides and reviews.
- Artificial Intelligence2023.03.14Best AI Tools of 2023 (Save Time & Boost Productivity)