Choosing the right type of writing tool is essential for you to make your writing stand out. This guide reviews the best Grammarly alternatives.
Grammarly is one of the most popular productivity tools among bloggers and content creators. With Grammarly, you can focus more on writing content and worry less about punctuation or other grammatical mistakes.
Grammarly is known for the popular Chrome Extension. This extension analyzes your content and makes suggestions and improvements to your writing. Also, there is a plagiarism checker and content rewrite in the Grammarly Premium plan.
Even though Grammarly is an amazing tool (I use it to write this very post), there are other great alternatives you might not know about.
This is a comprehensive guide to the best Grammarly alternatives. There are both paid and free solutions on the list. Some tools in this list make a great replacement for Grammarly. Others are a great addition to your Grammarly workflow.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links at no cost to you!
What Are We Looking for in This Guide?
This is a comprehensive list of Grammarly alternatives. Thus, it might be more convenient for you to be able to navigate to a specific part of the post. Feel free to click the links below to review a particular tool in this list.
Besides the reviews, there is a comprehensive FAQ section that covers the workings of these tools in detail. This section also answers to some of your burning questions about AI writing and Grammarly alternatives.
Let’s jump into the detailed reviews of the tools.
1. Hemingway App
The best 100% free alternative to Grammarly.
Hemingway App is the best free Grammarly alternative. It is really commonly recommended as one of your go-to tools when writing content.
Right off the bat, I must mention that Hemingway App doesn’t check grammatical errors or spelling mistakes!
Instead, it’s a tool to make your writing softer. You see, it’s common to write lengthy sentences that are hard to read.
I’m going to show you an example of how the Hemingway App can help you.
Take a look at this piece of text I wrote:
As the report on the right-hand side tells, there is a bunch of mistakes in the writing. Similar to how Grammarly works, you can hover over the mistakes to get more info.
For example, the tool says the word “multiple” is bad. Let’s see why:
As you can see, the tool suggests removing the word “multiple” or replacing it with a simpler “many”.
As another example, let’s see what’s wrong with the word “Grammarly”.
The Hemingway App thinks the word “Grammarly” is a forceful verb. The tool doesn’t understand it’s the name of a company. Instead, it suggests removing that word…
This highlights the drawbacks of the Hemingway App. It doesn’t use sophisticated algorithms to analyze your writing. Instead, it relies on “hard-coded” rules. This causes the tool to sometimes make very silly suggestions.
- Fix hard-to-read sentences
- Suggestions and alternatives
- Blog post editor
- Readability score
- Word count
- Online Editor
What I Like
- The tool is always completely free.
- The app is super intuitive and easy to use. You don’t need a guide to get started. You don’t even need an account. All you need to do is head over to the Hemingway App website and start fixing your writing.
- The suggested improvements are clearly highlighted and additional information is provided. With these, it’s easy to make the text better
- The blog post editor is great. You can format your text in the Hemingway App. This means you can write a blog post on Hemingway App and copy-paste it to WordPress, Medium, or any other platform you use.
What I Dislike
- The tool doesn’t analyze grammatical mistakes or spelling errors. So even though Hemingway App is a great Grammarly alternative, it’s not a good replacement for it.
- Hemingway App rules don’t use intelligent algorithms. Instead, the analyzer is hard-coded to highlight forbidden words. Furthermore, the sentences are considered “hard” based on a character limit, not based on the content or context.
The Hemingway App is free. No credit card is required. You don’t even need an account for unlimited use!
The overall best alternative to Grammarly.
ProWritingAid is the overall best alternative to Grammarly. If you are looking to write quality content with top-notch grammar and style, ProWritingAid can help you.
The tool is a great balance between price and quality.
ProWritingAid analyzes your writing for:
- Grammatical errors
- Readability issues
The tool is rich in features and it comes with both free and premium versions (similar to Grammarly).
There is a free grammar checker tool in ProWritingAid. You can use this tool as a standalone or as a Chrome Extension.
For example, here is a sample text being analyzed by ProWritingAid.
As you can tell, the suggestions look a lot like those in Grammarly.
To make the most of the tool, you should subscribe to a paid plan.
- Highlights grammar mistakes and suggests improvements
- AI-based content analyzer with intelligent suggestions and replacements
- Thesaurus for vocabulary suggestions and writing style improvements
- Free trial
- Student discount of 20% for premium plans
- Integrations with Google Chrome, MS Word, Google Docs, and more
What I Like
- The tool is super intuitive and easy to use. This makes it a great alternative to Grammarly, which is also really a beginner-friendly solution.
- There is a great free version of the tool. This gives you time to play with the tool before paying for it.
- ProWritingAid reports are great. They show you clearly how to improve grammar mistakes with clever AI-based suggestions.
- ProWritingAid works where you work. Even though there is a web-based editor, you can integrate the tool with other popular tools and platforms you use. For example, you can use ProWritingAid as a Chrome extension. This way the tool improves your writing no matter where you work.
- ProWritingAid reads your content using AI. In other words, it mimics the human reading process. This way the tool can determine whether your content is easy to read or not.
- The ProWritingAid thesaurus helps with style. With a complete thesaurus, the tool can make better vocabulary suggestions and help you improve your overall writing style.
What I Dislike
- The premium version is quite pricey.
- The browser extension is available for Chrome but not for Safari or Firefox.
- The online editor doesn’t work for mobile devices.
ProWritingAid has a great free trial version. Make sure to use the trial version before investing! To access the pro and premium features, there are three paid plans to choose from:
- Monthly Subscription: $20.00 / month
- Yearly Subscription: $79 / month
- Lifetime: $399 one-time payment
The go-to rephrasing tool in this list is called Wordtune. This tool is a great Grammarly alternative that paraphrases and rephrases your content in no time.
You can go ahead and give the tool a free trial on their home page. There is a content editor where you can paste a piece of text to see how it performs.
Wordtune is not only a great grammar-checking tool. It uses sophisticated AI algorithms to analyze and understand the semantics of your writing. The tool uses natural language processing algorithms to rephrase your written content.
To use this tool, you don’t need much.
- Copy-paste your content as input.
- Wait a second for the AI to rephrase your content.
- Copy the content from the output modal.
Notice that this tool not only focuses on the grammar details but also improves your overall readability. It makes intelligent fixes based on the context.
Let’s have a quick look at some of the main features of Wordtune.
- Paraphrasing features. Wordtune is a great tool for both rewriting your content and paraphrasing it. It turns your text into a completely new version in a matter of seconds.
- AI-powered content. The tool uses a state-of-the-art AI algorithm to work with your content. This helps you overcome writer’s block.
- Tone-analyzer. The clever AI is able to analyze the tone of writing. This way, it can preserve your tone and deliver your message even after rephrasing your content.
- Grammar-checker. Similar to Grammarly, Wordtune analyzes your content and makes sure there are no awkward spelling errors.
- Integrations. Wordtune works with popular text editors, such as MS Word. This means the tool works where you work!
There are three plans at your disposal:
- Free: $0/mo
- Premium: $9.99/mo
- Premium for Teams: Contact Sales Support
The best AI-based copywriting tool.
Jasper AI is an intelligent content creation bot. This tool allows you to write unique and original content 2-5 times faster.
Jasper AI is a complete package for streamlining the content creation process. With Jasper, we are not only talking about writing error-free content. Instead, the tool helps you generate 100% unique and original content altogether.
Jasper is thus a great AI-based alternative to Grammarly.
With this tool, you can improve your writing efficiency by 200%-500%. This is their value proposition. To see how I was able to achieve this, feel free to read my complete review on Jasper.
Jasper AI uses state-of-the-art AI algorithms to generate unique content. The tool has read a big chunk of the internet and learned how to create content based on other content on the internet. Sounds futuristic? Well, you should give it a try to see it yourself.
But why is Jasper AI a great Grammarly alternative?
Because the tool writes content on your behalf. When working with Jasper, you need to write less and worry less about grammar mistakes too.
But it’s good to remember that Jasper has learned writing skills from the internet. Thus, it repeats some common grammar mistakes. In other words, combining Jasper with Grammarly, ProWritingAid, or Hemingway App is an unbeatable combo!
In Jasper, there is a whole bunch of content creation templates to choose from. This helps you fight the blank page syndrome.
To use the long-form assistant, you need to activate the Boss Mode. With this link, you get a 10,000-word free trial!
To keep it in scope, let’s take a quick look at some of the core features in Jasper. This should give you a better understanding of what the AI-based writing tool is capable of.
- Recipes. One of the highlight features of Jasper is called the Recipes. A Recipe is an AI-powered template. It lets you generate content quickly using AI as your assistant. There are great recipes for blog posts, product descriptions, headlines, outlines, and more.
- Built-in Content Editor. Jasper AI has a blog post content editor. With this editor, you can structure the content. Even if you didn’t use Jasper’s AI capabilities, the content editor is still a great and easy-to-use feature for creating awesome blog posts and other writing.
- Multilanguage support of 25+ languages. Jasper understands languages other than English. This makes it a great tool for international markets. The tool can produce content in languages like English, French, Spanish, and German. Because we are talking about AI, you can also make Jasper translate content.
- Free trial. There is a great free trial of 10,000 words. You can access the trial with this link. Using the trial is wise not to end up purchasing something unnecessary. Jasper is so confident in its tool that it let you try it for free before making an investment.
What I Like
- The tool is easy to use. Notice that the tool is different than Grammarly, thus, it takes a bit longer to master. But after watching a tutorial of 15-30 minutes, you will surely be able to generate awesome content with it!
- There is a free trial. I love the fact that the Jasper team trusts in their software so much that they offer a free trial with all the great features. This way you can try the tool without worrying about the costs.
- The tool has a superb long-form content generator. This is powered by the latest advancements in AI. The content that is generated is professional, well-written, and original.
- There are lots of great features that help you battle against the blank page syndrome. For example, you can generate social media post content, ad descriptions, or blog post outlines.
What I Dislike
- The tool is a bit pricey. If you are looking for a cheap Grammarly alternative, then Jasper might not be the tool for you.
- The content repeats common grammar mistakes that the tool has learned from the internet.
- Jasper is a great writing assistant. But it doesn’t always get the facts correct. If you are writing factual text, you need to make sure the facts are right.
There are two pricing models for Jasper.
- The Starter Plan. This plan allows for generating words starting from 20,000 words/month for $29.00. This plan includes the main features of Jasper, such as bio and headlines. All in all, you get access to 50+ useful skills from Jasper with this plan.
- The Boss Mode is the “complete” plan for more serious writers. The Boss Mode starts at $59.00/month. This plan unlocks all the useful skills of Jasper. For example, you get access to the core feature, the long-form content creator. With this tool, you can write much faster than ever before.
Notice that the pricing of the plans is also based on the number of words you are planning to use. To get the most accurate price, head over to Jasper’s website and adjust the word count sliders.
Quillbot is a paraphrasing tool that uses AI to come up with the content.
In the above screen capture, you can see Quillbot in action. In the image on the left, there is a sample text I gave the tool as input. On the right-hand side, there is the Quillbot output. As you can see, the tool changed the highlighted words. The text still contains the exact same info but in a paraphrased manner.
The founder of Quillbot, Rohan Gupta, wanted to help content creators to write better and original content with the help of AI and Machine Learning. He founded Quillbot back in 2017 to solve this problem.
These days, Quillbot is used by many professional writers to streamline the writing process.
One really great feature of Quillbot is the writing modes. You can create content in different tones. For instance, you can ask Quillbot to generate content that is formal, casual, or semi-casual.
But why is Quillbot a great alternative to Grammarly?
In Grammarly, there is a whole bunch of editing features, such as the plagiarism checker or blog post editor. Also, the Grammarly re-writing feature is helpful and doesn’t leave the sentences looking bad.
The main difference is that Quillbot specializes in rewriting and paraphrasing your content. There is not a ton of editing features, so in a sense, it is more limited than Grammarly. However, the improvements and suggestions made by Quillbot are unmatched by other tools in the market.
Especially if you are new to the writing game, you should rely on Quillbot when it comes to writing/structuring your content.
- In the paid plan, you have an option of unlimited words in the paraphrasing tool.
- Grammar rewrites.
- The paid plan has 7 different modes: Standard, Fluency, Expand, Shorten, Formal, Simple, and Creative.
- There is a built-in plagiarism checker.
- Compare modes for desktop devices only.
What I Like
- Quillbot is easy to use. It’s also easy to try out for free. All you need to do is open their web page and paste content there to rephrase it.
- The intelligent re-writing features make it possible to create well-structured and well-thought sentences.
- The tool is cheaper than Grammarly. This makes it a great alternative to Grammarly as well.
- The integrations are great. The tool works where you work as it integrates with Google Docs and Chrome, for example.
What I Dislike
- There is a character limit that limits the amount of text you can paraphrase at a time.
- The spell-checking features are not nearly as great as in Grammarly.
In Quillbot, there is a great free plan you should try. The free limited version is easy to use. You don’t even need to sign up. Instead, you can just head over to the Quillbot website and open up the editor.
Besides the free plan, there is a more complete package available. The Premium plan costs $8.33/month if billed annually.
WhiteSmoke is a well-rounded proofreading tool that has been around for more than 20 years already!
The tool includes useful features, such as:
- Grammar edits
- Punctuation edits
- Spell checker
- 100+ templates
- Plagiarism checker
One of the outstanding features of WhiteSmoke is the templates. These are for those fighting against the blank page syndrome. The templates include some of the most common types of writing, such as resumes, thank-you letters, cover letters, and much more.
If you are looking to create a quick document and send it out in a breeze, WhiteSmoke has got your back!
The language support in WhiteSmoke is amazing. There are 55+ known languages in the tool. This way, you can work well in the international market and target non-English speakers as well. By the way, you can also use the tool to make translations. The underlying mechanism is called Statistical Machine Translation.
WhiteSmoke is a great Grammarly alternative. It works where you work. There are great integrations to Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Word, Google Docs, and MS Office.
But how does WhiteSmoke compare to Grammarly?
Meanwhile, the WhiteSmoke tool is not as intuitive as Grammarly, it offers great capabilities for a relatively low price. If I had to pick between the two, I would definitely go with Grammarly. But because WhiteSmoke offers some cool features such as sentence structuring and plagiarism checker, it is a great cheaper alternative to Grammarly.
- Sentence structuring features
- Spell checkers
- Plagiarism checker
- 100+ templates for the most common types of writing
- Grammar editor
- AI-based writing solutions
What I Like
- The tool works superbly for people targeting international markets. As stated earlier, the tool has the ability to do 55+ languages and translations that are accurate and AI-based.
- There is a great plagiarism-checking feature for ensuring your content isn’t violating guidelines.
- WhiteSmoke is a great tool for businesses. The templates allow you to write all sorts of content in a breeze. There is no blank page syndrome when using WhiteSmoke.
- The proofreading features are great. This way, you don’t need to ask a teammate or friend to review your content.
What I Dislike
- The tool is slower and a bit more limited than Grammarly
- There is no free browser extension, unlike in Grammarly
- You cannot upload docs to WhiteSmoke the way you do in Grammarly
There are four pricing plans to choose from:
- Chrome Extension: $8.33 per month (paid yearly)
- Essential: $10 per month (paid yearly)
- Premium: $13.33 per month (paid yearly)
- Business: $22.99 per month (paid yearly)
CopyAI is a complete solution for content creators and bloggers. This tool uses the latest advancements in AI to produce unique and original content.
This not only makes a great Grammarly alternative but also a complete writing co-pilot to streamline your work.
CopyAI is a great tool for those looking to streamline the writing process with a set of awesome creativity features.
First of all, you get to choose from loads of templates. This can help you overcome the blank page syndrome. Instead of scratching your head for hours, you can pick a ready-made template on top of which to write content.
Using CopyAI is easy. Your typical AI-assisted workflow is:
- Choose a topic to write about.
- Give CopyAI some input with a couple of words or sentences.
- Let the CopyAI clever AI algorithm come up with a version or two.
- Choose the best-looking version generated.
- Make slight tweaks to the content.
- Publish the article!
This is really how easy it is to use CopyAI. Similar to Jasper, CopyAI offers a completely new approach to producing content. Instead of doing all the work yourself, you can utilize AI in the making!
Unlike Grammarly, CopyAI offers a broad range of tools for different writing purposes. Where Grammarly helps you with grammatical issues and spelling errors, CopyAI generates entire chapters of original content.
Let’s take a closer look at the highlight features in CopyAI.
- A free trial version. Before spending a dime, you can make sure you like the tool by using the free trial.
- 100+ writing templates. There are lots of writing templates to choose from.
- 25+ language support. CopyAI is a great tool for international markets. The tool supports 25+ languages. This makes it easy for you to create content for non-English speakers too. By the way, thanks to the clever AI, you can also use CopyAI to translate content.
- Long-form content editor. This is the highlight feature of CopyAI. With the long-form content creator, you can produce content that ranks high on search engines like Google. Better yet, the content is completely original and unique.
- Beginner-friendliness. The tool is easy to use, even if you have never used such a tool before. Also, CopyAI is becoming an increasingly popular AI writing tool, thus, there are great tutorials available.
What I Like
- There is a free version you can use at any time. This gives beginners a great idea as to what to expect from the tool.
- The long-form editor creates amazing AI-written content.
- The UI is clear and consistent. This makes it easy to use for beginners.
- There are lots of great guides as to how to use CopyAI.
- CopyAI comes with a plagiarism checker. This tool makes sure the content you create is original and unique just in case.
What I Dislike
- Even though the long-form content editor is great, it performs a little bit worse than Jasper, for example.
- You need to describe the content well to produce great output.
- Sometimes the facts are not correct. Although, this is a problem with most if not all the AI writing tools.
There is a free plan for CopyAI. Although it’s limited, you get a lot of things done with the free plan already.
For more serious content creators, there is a paid plan for $35.00/month.
Make sure to read frequently asked questions about Grammarly and its alternatives.
Should you pay for a writing tool?
In my opinion, paying for a writing tool is not necessary. However, it can offer huge time savings and productivity, especially for a beginner.
When you write, you have to pay attention to:
- Being original
- Being creative
- Being clear
As you can see, the list is quite long. It can be overwhelming to try to keep all these aspects in mind.
This is where both free and paid writing tools help.
- With Grammarly or ProWritingAid, you can outsource the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.
- With a tool like Hemingway App, you are guaranteed to keep the content readable and soft in the vocabulary.
- With a tool like Jasper, you can generate entire chapters of unique and original content.
When combining all three options above, you get a one-of-a-kind writing experience that involves much less stress and thinking.
Also, expect these AI tools to only improve over time! Chances are in 5 years no one is writing by hand anymore. Instead, it could be that AI generates 90% of the content. If you are running a business or agency that is not using AI in writing, chances are you’ll be left eating dust.
Should you pay for Grammarly?
The less familiar you are with English, the more likely you would benefit from the paid version of Grammarly.
The tool has a great free version, though. With the free version, you can analyze an unlimited amount of content for spelling and grammatical mistakes.
But if you want to rephrase or paraphrase your content, then it’s time to pay for Grammarly. And if you think the pricing is salty, in this list you find great alternatives that may not be that costly for you!
What is the best free Grammarly alternative?
Hemingway App is the best free alternative to Grammarly. But because it doesn’t quite do the same as Grammarly, it’s not a great replacement.
The Hemingway App helps you write more readable and less verbose content. But it doesn’t understand punctuation, spelling, or grammar mistakes.
What is the best Grammarly alternative?
If you are looking to replace Grammarly with another tool, then go with ProWritingAid. It’s the best overall Grammarly alternative powered by the latest advancements in AI.
If you are looking for a more complete solution to your writing game, use a tool like Chibi AI or Jasper AI. These tools let you generate unique and well-thought content with minimal grammatical mistakes and errors. The best part is you can also generate content out of thin air!
What Is AI Writing?
AI writing means creating content with the help of Artificial Intelligence.
This might sound fancier and funkier than it actually is.
To use AI in your writing, you can test one of the AI writing tools, such as Grammarly, ProWritingAid, or Jasper. These tools are easy to use for creating grammatically accurate content that performs.
Behind the scenes, these tools use AI to generate or analyze content.
In case you are interested, artificial intelligence means a computer program mimics the human intelligence process. The tool has been trained with some initial data. Based on the training data, the AI tool can make predictions. By the way, this is nothing but traditional linear algebra and probabilities behind the scenes.
One of the subfields of AI is Natural Language Processing (NLP). It’s a study that analyses and simulates the human intelligence process in reading and writing text.
NLP is what the AI writing tools use.
A tool like Jasper AI has read billions of blog posts on the internet. The internet is thus its training data. When you ask the tool to produce content, the tool combines what it has learned to write the content. This process mimics the way we humans think. This way the AI can come up with unique and original content.
Is AI Writing Cheating?
AI-based writing is not cheating.
At the end of the day, it’s you who produced the content and takes responsibility for it. If the AI makes a mistake, it’s you who are to be blamed!
Even though the AI tools are impressive, there is a small chance they produce a paragraph or sentence that is found somewhere else. No matter what AI-generated content you produce, you should always do:
- Fact checks
- Plagiarism checks
And most importantly, you should still check that the grammar and spelling make sense, no matter how good a tool you used.
Today you learned about the best Grammarly alternatives.
If you are a content creator, using writing assistants is necessary. Everyone makes writing mistakes. With the proper set of tools, you can focus more on writing and pay less attention to mistakes.
Grammarly is one of the most popular tools to help writers keep grammar and spelling mistakes minimal. But there are many other tools you should consider too!
For example, to write softer sentences that are easier to read, you should try a tool like Hemingway App. It’s a completely free writing assistant. The online editor makes it accessible anywhere as long as you have internet. The tool is free and no sign-up is required.
If you are looking to replace Grammarly, the Hemingway App is not your best option. Even though it makes your writing easier, it doesn’t pick up grammatical mistakes or spelling errors.
This is why there are other tools in this list. For example, ProWritingAid is a great Grammarly alternative. The tool uses state-of-the-art AI algorithms to improve your writing.
Thanks for reading. Happy writing!